BUDDHIST SERVICE’S ETIQUETTE
ETIQUETTE= JUST SHOW YOUR HEART & RESPECT NATURALLY
(GASSHO & RAIHAI – put your palms together & bow)
1. put your palms together
2. Keep your back straight & Put your hand on the solar plexus.
3. Your hand should be at an angle of 45 degree.
4. Watch Amida Buddha & Recite NEMBUTSU (NAMO AMIDA BUTSU)
5. Lean forward at angle of 45 degree.
6. Back to initial position
(YUUHAI – Small bow)
1. Keep your back straight
2. Lean your body forward at angle of 15 degree
3. Back to initial position
(OSHOKO – Incense offering)
1. Stop just a few feet of the Incense Burner and YUUHAI
2. Step your left foot, and then right foot forward.
3. Open a lid, and put the lid on right edge of container.
4. Put a pinch of Incense by right hand to the incense burner. (JUST ONCE)
5. GASSHO & RAIHAI
6. If nobody is following you, close the lid. If somebody is following you, leave it open.
7. Step your right foot back, and then left foot back.
9. Go back to your seat.
(ONENJU / OJUZU – Buddhist Rsoary)
1. Don’t put your ONENJU on the floor directly.
1. Don’t put your Chanting Book on the floor or chair directly.
2. Just before you open a chanting book and right after close a chanting book, you should bring your book in front of your forehead.(ITADAKU)